Flip the switch. What does it mean to “flip the switch”? Flipping the switch means to IMMEDIATELY shift your attitude and mindset to the opposite of your present state of mind. Just like flipping a light switch immediately creates light out of darkness, I believe we are all capable of flipping our own switch when we want to – that is, immediately creating positivity and energy out of negativity.
Is Flipping The Switch Possible For Everyone?
As I have written in a previous article, I want to be known as a consistent person. In order to be consistent however, it is absolutely necessary to be able to flip the switch. The good news is that I believe every single person has the inborn ability to do so.
You might be thinking to yourself, “Well, I would love to be able to immediately flip the switch and drop my negativity. But I can’t. I am depressed. Nothing is going right. I can’t pay my bills. My parents are getting divorced. I just got fired from my job. I am a negative person by nature.” The list of negativity and doubt goes on and on in your mind.
Let me ask you this: if someone had a gun to your head, and demanded that you immediately stop complaining, and instead start expressing cheer, happiness, and gratitude, would you be able to do it? I think you would. Actually, I know you would. We would all find a way to stop complaining.
I believe flipping the switch comes down to the basic element of desire: do we want to flip the switch bad enough? Often times, we don’t. It is easier to complain, so we continue. The cycle never breaks.
The cycle of negativity will only end WHEN YOU DECIDE IT IS TIME FOR THE CYCLE TO END. It’s always up to you if you want to flip the switch. When a room is dark, we always prefer light, so we flip the switch. In the same way, when your attitude and mindset is dark, go ahead…flip the switch.
I have a long history of living in a dark place in my mind. For years I allowed negativity and self-doubt to rule my mindset. If I felt sad, I would act sad. If I felt angry, I would act out in anger. If I felt tired, I would act tired. I was a slave to circumstance.
When you flip the switch, you are no longer a slave to circumstance. Instead, you are the ruler and dictator of your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. What a great place to be!
Here are some simple ways I flip the switch every day:
- When I am tired at work, I flip the switch to ENERGY. Instead of acting tired, yawning, and speaking negative to others, my energy switch allows me to carry on with enthusiasm, hustle, and spirit. Guess what eventually happens? When I flip the switch to ENERGY, eventually my brain believes it, and I forget I was ever tired in the first place!
- When I am frustrated, I flip the switch to PATIENCE. My students will never know when I am frustrated because long before my frustration boils over, I have flipped the switch to PATIENCE. Being patient allows me to talk calmly, sincerely, and respectfully.
- When I feel unmotivated, I flip the switch to SERVE. Laziness cannot live within an environment of servanthood, and is quickly defeated. When I feel unmotivated, I ask myself “Who can I serve, and how?”
All of us give into our feelings and circumstance at one point or another. The key is to SLOWLY begin to change the process…instead of giving into your feelings, your feelings will give into YOUR MINDSET.
To begin slowly…here is this weeks challenge: PURPOSEFULLY FLIP THE SWITCH AT LEAST ONE TIME PER DAY.
My advice to you is to LIVE OUT A SINGLE WORD DURING THE WEEK. When you live out a word, you are required to act like it, even if you don’t feel like it. For example, if you want to be KIND this week, you will need to flip your switch to KIND even if you feel like telling someone off.
Think of a word that you want to be known as. Then, at least once a day this week, flip the switch to that word when you don’t feel like it. Slowly you will trick your brain and begin to rule your feelings.
- Be sure to follow me on INSTAGRAM and TWITTER. Each day I will post an inspiring message…a thought for the day…to help push you towards success.
- Be sure to read my other leadership posts. Check back every Sunday for the next article that will challenge you and prepare you for a life of impact and success.
- My book, “Seeds of Excellence for Teens: 24 Life Principles For Those Who Want to Stand Out From The Crowd“, is available on Amazon.